Perth Amboy - Edison, New Jersey
Schedule of Masses - Home - Directions
Former Priests - About the Byzantine Rite - Links
Father Glenn Michael Davidowich
® Perth Amboy Parish ® ® Edison Parish ®
Welcome to the Homepage of Saint Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Church.
Combining Two Parishes into One Church.
Our Church is Consists of Two Parishes: St. Nicholas Church on Washington Avenue, Perth Amboy, NJ and St. Nicholas of Edison, On May Street.
Until recently, the two churches were independent of each other, with St. Nicholas of Fords (Edison) The Eldest. The original Perth Amboy Church was actually located in a small Auditorium-like building on Penn Street, a few blocks away from its current location. At the Time,1910ís & 20's, The Czechoslovakian-American Population in the area was increasing. Many of the New Citizens Attended Saint Johnís Greek Catholic Church on Broad street in Perth Amboy under Father Michael Lukacs. The majority of St. John's parishioners would soon decide to convert away from the Roman Pope, thus changing to "Greek Orthodox". Many of the other parishioners wanted to remain in union with Rome, so they formed their own Greek Catholic Parish (Now called Byzantine Catholic-Rite). The parishioners used the church building of Most Holy Rosary Roman Catholic church on Penn street in Perth Amboy. The Church was also shared with the Holy Trinity Catholic parish. Saint Nicholas Greek Catholic Church of the Byzantine Rite was created. The Pittsburgh Metropolitan Arch-eparchy assigned Father Julius Grigassy to be the Priest. Father Grigassy & the Parishioners soon realized that the Population of church members was increasing and the Penn Street Church was too small to Fit the Needs of a Growing Membership. A New Church was Constructed On the Corners of Washington Ave. And Johnstone St., The Present Location. The Current Church was built in 1949 and opened in January 1950. The Passaic Eparchy would soon later be created as well.
At the Same time, another group Czechoslovakian Settlers Founded A Byzantine Catholic Church in the Neighboring town of Fords, NJ. St. Nicholas of Fords was Organized in 1917, and Built in 1922, on 4th Avenue in Fords.
In 1995, The Priest, Father John Onesko and the Parishioners saw the need to build another Building. A Church was built on a Parcel of land a few Blocks away In Edison. The New Church was Dedicated in 1996. Sadly, just after completion, Father Onesko Passed Away. Father Radvansky from Perth Amboy was given the position of Priest, In addition to his duties in Perth Amboy. Today, The Masses are split between Perth Amboy And Edison.
A re-dedication Ceremony was held on May 17, 2003 to Bless New Iconistasis at the Edison parish.
It is with Great sadness to announce the passing of Father Bob. Father Bob returned to the Lord on Saturday, October 7, 2006. He had been ill since the Easter Holiday season and had been placed in a long-term care center in Ohio, where he was closer to his brother, Father Joseph Radvansky. We will always remember Father Bob in our hearts as he was a Part of our Saint Nicholas family for so long.
God Bless America!!!
Add your Comments in the Guestbook
If you have any Questions, or Comments, Please E-mail the Webmaster by clicking the Mailbox below. Thank You.